Saturday, January 25, 2014

Nigeria: Why Nigerian Entertainers Live Large

During a recent interview with Encomium magazine, singer Iyanya gave an insight into why some Nigerian entertainers are forced to live large. “Yes [we need to live large]. Let me give you an instance: I had a show here in Lagos, but I was in Dubai.
They made the mistake of booking my flight for Monday for the show which was supposed to be on Sunday. We rushed to the airport and they confirmed that my ticket was for the next day. After much pleading and explaining that I had a show that night in Lagos, they agreed to let me on board, but refused me to be on business class, because, according to them, it wasn’t my [scheduled] flight. I had to fly economy class with my business class ticket.
Sitting down there, people around were staring at me, wondering what I was doing there. A woman even walked up to me and said “Iyanya, you no suppose dey here now, na the other side you suppose dey”. What came to my mind next was ‘I can’t just decide to fly economy today; it will become gist’. I have to work hard, make money and live up to your expectations. It is not like as if I am living my life for you but it’s the life I chose. So, I have to do it.”
This actually means that Nigerian artistes and their larger-than-life attitude is apparently a part of the show business. Most people see these artistes and aspire to be like them; which makes it difficult to fathom why someone who owns a N20m car would stay in a rented apartment or choose to ‘starve’.
Some artistes have been scrutinised for buying exotic cars when ‘people’ in the country still live below the poverty line. Recently, Omawumi was congratulated by a blogger for acquiring a 2012 ML 350 Mercedes said to be worth about N12.5m. In 2013, WizKid bought a N14.6m Porsche Panamera, bashed it and replaced it with another. Iyanya just acquired a brand new 2013 Porsche Cayman said to be worth about N12.5. Mavin Record artiste D’ Prince’s Mercedes Benz cost N8m.Timaya owns a 2009 Bentley continental GT coupe, Range Rover and Escalade Truck. For Iceprince Zamani, MI and Timi Dakolo, the Range Rover seems to be the choice. J. Martins allegedly owns a Rolls Royce worth $500,000. Of course, you have the right to wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment